My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Friday, April 02, 2004

April Fools.
(I know ...a day late.)
When I was 22 I lived with my parents. For a short time I worked at Hardees. My shifts was 5-8 and 11-2. I hated it for many reasons, not the least was the 3 hour wait between shifts. I would show up in the morning and help clean up the place before it got busy with the morning breakfast rush.
Since I worked weekend mornings , and usually didn't like to have to rush back home from wherever it was that I found myself on those early morning hours, I usually kept a spare uniform in the store. A vast majority of my time working there I was either hung over or sleep deprived.
To say I took the job less then seriously would be a vast understatement. I would show up seconds before I to clock in and clock out the first minute I could.
I once worked at a Nursing Home where an old woman's foot fell apart. I hated my job at Hardees worse than that one.
On April First 1987 my alarm clock rang and woke me up. I turned it off and stumbled out of bed. I somehow got myself dressed and drank a can of Coke to help wake me up.
Less then 8 minutes after I woke up I staggered out the door and began the long walk to work. About half way there I woke up a little. I remember thinking how cold it was that morning. About 15 minutes after I left home I found myself walking up to the entrance of Hardees.
Everything was dark. I tried the door.
Locked.
Maybe the manager was late this morning, I thought. I looked in the window at the clock by the counter.
It said 3.57.
3.57? What the heck?
I was an hour early. Cussing everystep, I walked home. I made it in time to sit down, relax for about 20 minutes, and head back out to Hardees. Sooner then I would have liked I back, this time the manager was there.
That day went especially long for me. Finally it was 8 and I could go home for 3 hours until it was time to head back. I walked home still wondering how my clock could have been set ahead an hour. I got there around 8.15. Mom and Dad were in the kitchen. I came in to grab a bite to eat.
As I sat down Dad looked at me and without cracking a smile said," Did you make it too work on time? It's important to show up when you are supposed to."
I stared at him with my mouth slightly open. He did it too me. The old sadistic jerk. I knew he would never admit it, but all the same he wanted to let me know it was him.
Before I could say anything he left the kitchen and went to work. I sat there vowing revenge. Next Year I vowed, I'll get him back.
All Year I plotted and schemed. Finally the week before April 1st I understood.
Nothing I could do would ever match that. He had beaten me. It was time to bow before the Master.
Besides he would have killed me if I really did anything to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home