My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Saturday, May 31, 2003

My Dad meets his future Step Dad.

Ok. My friend Mark , who suggested I do this blog said I should put it in some sort of order.. ( he has insane plans of publishing this thing and making money on my misery.) So I've decided to start in the beginning. Which I suppose would be my Dad.
I don't have any stories of my father as a child. I know next to nothing about him as a boy. In my Family's lore he seems to of sprung full blown as a (very) angry young man. Why I don't know much about Dad as a child could stem from the fact that both of his parents are now dead. My only source now is his Step-Father Woody.
Back in spring time 1951 my father had just turned 17. His parents were splitting up, and from what I understand it upset him greatly. His parents, Leo and Agnes, were trying to divorce without too much fighting for the sake of the children. Grandma had already started to date Woody before the divorce was final . At times Leo and Woody would see each other at the local bar in the town square of the small Iowa town where they lived in. When they did ,they were , if not friendly with each other at least polite.
Until one night when Leo had too much to drink . He went over to where Woody was and started trying to pick a fight. Woody knowing he was in a no win situtation got up to go home. Before Woody could leave the bar, Leo threw a punch and politeness was thrown out the window, along with Woody. Leo was in his early 40's and Woody was 27 and just out of the army. Leo was Very strong man ( once having been a strong man or a wrestler in the circus. ) but not a great fighter while drunk. They fight rolled out into the street with a large crowd cheering them on. Woody, with his army training, eventually got the upper hand and put Leo in a leg lock until he could get him to calm down.
While Woody had Leo in the leg lock he was upside down , and all he could see was the upside down crowd cheering on the fight. It was at this point the crowd got very quiet. Woody could see crowd begining to part to make way for a dark haired , dark eyed , angry looking young man.
It was my Dad. He had come to the town square to get a drink with some friends , and found his dad in a fight with the man who was the cause ( as far as he was concerned )of his parents splitting up .
It's at this point the story ends from Woody. All I know is my father beat Woody so bad he sent him to the hospital . Dad had to leave town and take his senior year somewhere else. It was over a year before he came back.
My first memory of my dad? Let's just say he was still an Angry man.( No he never beat me or abused me. )I won't say what that first memory is just yet. But I will say that to this day I can't look at white kitchen cabinets without a feeling of dread.
Now why do I even write any of this? Next time I mention I thought my Dad might be the devil it will be a little easy to understand.
And when I eventually write what my father did with his life and that I admire him more then any other person I know, you might understand that as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home