My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Monday, September 22, 2003

My Mom gets a Secret Admirer

When I was 17 my Mom managed a private park. My "job" was to either card people coming into the park by the front gate , or the far more enjoyable job of watching the swimming area. Usually Mom would be the one carding people as they came in. One day An old boyfriend of Mom's came by. He had heard that we were living there and decided to stop by and say hi. Mom and him chatted away about old times. Mom called me out of the water to meet him. While Mom was introducing him to me , I tried to give him a glare Dad would be proud of . The old boyfriend (I don't remember his name. Lets just call him Jerkwad) introduced Mom and me to his wife and kids. He stayed at the park for a few hours and then wisely left before Dad came home from the office. My Mom seemed to be glowing in the midst of memories of Jerkwad. I looked very unhappy as I told my Mom ,"Maybe you shouldn't say anything to Dad about that geek."
Mom was very offended that I had called Jerkwad a geek. "He's a nice man ", she said.
My Mother has this unfortunate way about being honest and always telling the truth. So over supper that night she told Dad about Jerkwad stopping by. Dad showed me what a glare truly was that evening. "What did that geek want? Do you still have the hots for him?"
"He's not a geek!"
"Then why are you sticking up for him?"
Mom's earlier glow faded as she tried to convince Dad he was being jealous for no reason. "It was almost 30 years ago when we dated. He just wanted to say hello ."
"Maybe I should look up a few ex girlfriends. Just to say Hi. See how you'd like that?"
Dad spent the rest of the evening doing an impression of a 6 year old pouting. Mom went out of her way to show Dad he had nothing to be jealous about. She even promised to make him a chocolate pie the next day.
A couple of weeks went by and I soon forgot about Jerkwad. Then one day the florist stopped by with a dozen red roses for my Mom. Mom was thrilled. Dad hadn't given her flowers in ages. She looked at the card. All it said was "thinking of old times" Mom thought it was odd that Dad wouldn't sign the card. She happily put the flowers in a vase and showed them to everyone who stopped by.
That night Dad came home and asked where the hell the flowers came from.
"Didn't you send them?"
"If I sent them would I be asking who sent them?"
Dad was sure it was Jerkwad. "After 30 years he just thinks he's going to waltz on in here and steal my wife?" Dad looked like he was going to blow a gasket. Mom insisted that wasn't going to happen. She made Dad his favorite dinner (Steak) and later had me watch the front gate while her and Dad went for a nice romantic drive. Dad calmed down , and we all had a nice laugh about it.
until 3 days later when another dozen roses arrived. Dad exploded. He was on the phone trying to find out where Jerkwad lived. Dad insisted he was going to go over there and punch that geek out. Mom didn't object this time to Jerkwad being called a geek. Mom made another steak dinner and also made Dad a chocolate pie. She then spent the rest of the evening reassuring Dad that he was the only one she loved.
A week later another dozen Roses arrived. Dad now seemed to be out of his head with jealousy. "You are going to leave me aren't you?" Dad seemed almost resigned to the fact. It was almost sad. Mom wanted to know if he'd like to go out for a nice dinner, and maybe a movie. Dad agreed to this almost reluctantly. I was in charge of the park for the rest of the evening. They didn't come home until after midnight. They both seemed to have had a good time. They were laughing and holding hands as they walked in the door.
About a week later Dad needed my help at the office. He wanted me to help answer the phone , as his normal secretary was home sick. It was a pretty boring job, and at one point Dad went out on a call. Being all alone in my Dad's office I did what any 17 year old would do. I snooped around.On my Dad's desk I found three receipts to the local florist.
Dad was sending Mom the flowers and pretending to be surprised when he got home! He was even more fiendish then I thought. I called Mom and told her what I found. Far from being upset , she thought it was funny.
" That's the most romantic thing he's done in years", she said laughing.
When we got home I could smell steak cooking. Mom rushed out and gave dad a big hug. She told him she knew it was him sending all the flowers. Dad tried to protest , but he knew he was caught. Mom spent the rest of the evening snuggled up to Dad on the couch watching television. Dad glared at me a little for ruining his joke, but never said anything to me.
A week later one last dozen roses arrived. She put them in a vase , and told everyone what a wonderful husband she had. Dad came home to another steak dinner and chocolate pie. All night Mom kept telling him what a great husband he was. All night he kept glancing at the vase. Again they spent the evening snuggled up on the couch watching television. Every now and then Dad would glare at the vase.
Dad didn't send that last dozen roses.
I did.
And it drove him nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home