My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Thursday, November 20, 2003

The Truth Is Out There
Steve said strange things. Weird things. Things that other people might take as sheer lunacy.
For example one night he stopped by drunk as I'd ever seen him. Actually when I said night I should have said morning. Like 1 in the morning. Luckily Angie and I were still up. He just wanted to stop by and say, "Hi".
In the course of him saying hello he somehow started rambling on about space travel. Steve desperately wanted to believe in UFO's and such. He thought that Aliens would have the answers that would help mankind out of our problems.
Or at the very least they would have some really good dope.
To say that Angie and I were taken aback at Steve stopping by at 1 in the morning and talking about UFO's would be a understatement. But it was nothing compared to how we felt when he said that he had some "High Technology friends" building a spaceship in their garage.
I believe my reply was something like, "Steve what the heck are you drinking?"
"No", he said dead seriously. "I have people building a starship and when it goes I'm going on it."
(Remember this is the man who eyed his lawn gnomes with suspicion every morning)
Luckily Steve was not driving that night. His good son Kris was driving his Dad around that night so he'd be safe.
Another time Steve stopped by the convenience store I worked at and chatted with me as I closed up. He pointed across the road at the 24 hours restaurant and old motel.
"You know that some Mob guy runs a whore house out of there. If you say the password they'll let you in."
"Steve", I said. "There's only 800 people in this town. There's not enough work for one whore let alone a house of them."
Steve was insistent. There was a brothel being run out of that place. It was mainly used for people coming off the interstate.
I asked around. No one knew at all what I was talking about. I chalked it up to Steve being again drunk off his ass. He never made a lot of sense when he was really drunk.
Another time, about 5 years after Grandpa Leo died Steve started calling all of us and saying he saw Grandpa. Steve said he had been kind of depressed and Grandpa Leo came to him. It was when he was watching America's Funniest Home Video's. Steve thought it was a miracle. We all thought Steve was drunk or just nuts.
Like I said Steve was a character.
But he was also right.
A friend of Steve's wife had taped that episode for some unknown reason. Kathy found out and asked if she could watch it to see what Steve was talking about.
And lo and behold there was my Grandpa, dancing in the background at some country dance without his shirt on. I felt horrible for doubting my big brother.
A little later I also found out that years ago there had been a brothel being run out of the motel Steve had mentioned to me. The state cops had shut the place down. Some guy with an Italian last name was behind it.
Again I felt bad. Steve had said there was a Whore House and there was a Whore House. I didn't laugh in his face when he told me but I came close. I felt very very bad.
Again I apologized to my brother.
Steve was wiser and smarter then we gave him credit for at times. Even when he'd say the outlandish things he said he always had a grin on his face, like it was all some big joke, but only he knew the whole answer.
Which leads me to his friends building a spaceship in their garage.
I still make jokes about it. I still laugh at the whole "High Technology friends" thing.
But whenever I hear a loud noise in this town I always stop and look around just on the off chance that somewhere a spaceship is lifting off from Kewanee Illinois.

Question
So What is the weirdest most ridiculous thing that someone told you that turned out to be true? And did you admit you were wrong when you found out? Or did you believe it right off the bat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home