My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Thursday, December 11, 2003

I don't have a lot of time today. So My post today will just be a quick glimpse into how my mind worked at 10 years of age.


Did You Ever Wonder Why Did Vader Become Evil?
Sometimes I had to much time to think about things as a child.
As a boy of 10 I loved the Saturday morning cartoon show Underdog. I couldn't wait to watch it every weekend. Sometimes I would tie a blue blanket on my dog Duke so he could pretend to be Underdog and watch the show with me. Duke of course always had to make it hard for me, but I usually got the blanket tied on him by the end. Mom would come in and want to know why I had a blanket tied to the dog and I would try to explain that it was his cape.
"Don't let your Dad see that", she'd say clearly not understanding how a 10 year mind thinks.
Duke and I would usually get in trouble as we would play rough pretending to be Underdog and his arch enemy Simon Bar Sinister. (In all honesty I was the only one really pretending. Duke was trying to get out of my way as I jumped on him from the couch.)




Simon was a evil genius who seemed to have a unnatural hatred for dogs in general and Underdog in particular.
Now a ten year old has plenty of time to think and imagine. Soon I was thinking about why would Simon Bar Sinister hate Underdog so much. What could have turned him into such a evil little man. One day I asked Dad.
Dad just stared at me like I was on drugs. Finally when he realized I wasn't going to go until he answered he thought of something.
"Well I suppose," He said slowly, "Maybe he had a dog bite him or do something to him when he was younger."
That made sense. In Simon's childhood there was obviously some horrible traumatic incident with a dog.
Then right before Christmas I had my answer.
It wasn't just any dog. It had to be a very cool dog. The coolest dog.
As I was watching A Charlie Brown Christmas I saw (To my mind anyway) the boy who would grow up to become Simon Bar Sinister.
Linus.


They even have the same hairline. And they both have the same dent in the middle of their heads. (Perhaps this was the cause of the insanity that plagued Linus later in life?)
Obviously sometime later in their lives Snoopy did something. Something so horrible that it set Linus off. Something so bad it turned him to a life of evil. After that watching any Charlie Brown special there was always a little sadness in my heart, knowing that Linus was destined for a life of evil.
I would wonder what did it? What was it that finally made Linus snap. I figured it must have had something to do with Linus's blanket. They never did air the "Linus snaps" episode of Charlie Brown so I never did have all my answers.
Which is good. There are some things kids aren't meant to know.
Like I said ,I had to much time to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home