My Drivel


"If I'm going to have a past I'd prefer it to be multiple choice"............



Until you get caught up, it's important that you start at the bottom of the page and read your way up, otherwise the stories won't make sense. Send any comments or questions to :

thomas_hernandez2003@yahoo.com

Saturday, February 07, 2004

Lessons

Ask anyone who knows me and they would tell you that I was very protective of my Mom. She was and always will symbolize what was best in my childhood. While I would jokingly refer to my Dad as Darth Vader, Mom was always compared to June Cleaver. She always made sure I was comforted when ill, or had cookies when I was good.
Yet I never related to her. She was my Mom and while I love her dearly, I really don't have a clue as to what makes her tick.
Which is funny because there were many times I couldn't stand my Dad. Yet I understood him all to well. Whenever I accomplished anything in my life it was Dad's attention or approval I was seeking the most. Whenever I won art ribbons in school it was Dad I desperately wanted to impress.
Perhaps it was the fact that I always had placed Mom on some pedestal of sainthood, while Dad was all too human. In my mind Mom never had to overcome any flaws. She was Mom and I didn't want her to change. (Well perhaps the criminal way she cooked Pork Chops woulda been ok.) Dad on the other hand was a man full of flaws.
Yet I took a strange comfort that he was a man who was constantly battling his inner demons. When he was hard on us I understood it was because he didn't want us to live the life he had led. My Dad and I were never friends yet I admire him more then anyone else for the gift he gave.
As I have wrote elsewhere Dad's gift to me was knowing that a person could overcome the mistakes and sins of his past and become a better person. My Dad's gift to me was redemption.
Now at the age of 39 I look at my life. I wonder what will be the gift I leave my children? What lesson can my kids learn from me? (Other then the value of a good insurance policy) I know whatever it will be it won't be anything planned.
I hope that it's a good lesson and not one where they say, "Don't want to end up like him." I hope it's something that gives them comfort in dark and sad hours. I hope it's one that's uplifting.
I'm thinking about this now for obvious reasons. This will be a crossroads for my children. Where it take anyone of us I do not know. For Ethan's and Isaac's sake whatever happens I must try to deal with it as well as possible.
Hopefully in that they'll find a lesson from me.



Sorry I haven't written as much lately. Hopefully I'll get back to a more or less regular schedule here soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home